Pages

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Art Around the World

The Louvre Museum is the most visited art museum in the world and holds possibly the most famous painting, da Vinci's Mona Lisa. Russ and I were privileged to be two of the millions of visitors the museum received in 2003. Highly recognizable with its glass pyramid, the museum is also the most visited monument in Paris, France.

We saw many paintings, but Repenting Magdalene was strangely one of the most memorable for me, as I have mentioned, although I was mistaken in thinking it was the same painting. Apparently George de la Tour was fascinated with Mary Magdalene, creating at least five different versions of the repenting Magdalene over the course of 15 years. Not all of our photographs inside the museum turned out, but I was thrilled that we were able to get a decent one of this:


It would have taken days and days to see all of the artwork and antiquities displayed at the Louvre. We had to pick and choose. We visited Venus de Milo, Mona Lisa, Psyche Revived by Cupid's Kiss, and my favorite sculpture the Winged Victory of Samothrace.

Interested in visiting? Check out the virtual tours.

No comments: