Pages

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Back in the Saddle

On the menu today, a few thoughts from around the blog world to share with you as many of us are getting back into the swing of school, lessons, and learning. (Okay, maybe some of you are more firmly in the saddle than I, but still...)


From Behind Every School Kid over at Blue Yonder (Loving this blog!):

...I have a few butterflies too. I think whether you are waving goodbye to your little ones as they board the big yellow bus, or you're stirring Irish porridge as your homeschooler comes sleepy-eyed into the kitchen, fully expecting you to walk with him down this day's learning path, a little worry comes with the territory.

Will he have what he needs?
Will the world be kind to him?
Will he grow to love learning?
Will he be a good friend?
Will he handle adversity well?
Will he remember who he is?
Will he learn and laugh and carry my love with him?




From Making Children Salt and Light over at Prairie Prologue (addressing the argument that Christian children should be in public school to be salt and light to non-Christian children rather than in private or home schools) (be sure to read the whole post over at Prairie Chick's blog):

It seems to scoff in the face of the months (in our case years) of careful examining, analyzing, observing, praying with blood, sweat and tears home schooling parents have spent before making their decision. It treats a very difficult choice that some of us believe to be our duty and calling in order to raise kids who truly are salt and light, with almost a superiority and a snub nosed reaction that implies "how will your kids ever learn to persevere? how can your kids ever be a testimony? how will they ever learn to mature in their faith and life if they aren't sent out on their own?" These implied comments cut to my very soul and wound. Because our first and foremost calling and ambition (and indeed part of the reason we choose to homeschool) as parents is to:

1. teach our kids to persevere (just because they aren't in public school doesn't mean they don't have ample opportunity to be taught this)
2. teach our kids to be a testimony (public school is not the only place people can testify), first and foremost they must have the foundation and faith and fruit that produces good testimony.
3. raise mature, thoughtful, independent, free thinking adults (why on earth sending them to public school would be neccessary to accompish this is beyond me. They have ample opportunities every day in life to be challenged and tested and spread their wings. )



Jennifer at Planted by Streams has shared wonderful photographs, ideas, and recommendations from their first homeschooling year (1st grade and pre-K) in the last week or two, but I love the photos of their school room. Isn't it just beautiful?!



Upon the subject of education, not presuming to dictate any plan or system respecting it, I can only say that I view it as the most important subject which we as a people may be engaged in.

~Abraham Lincoln

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Trying to get back in the saddle here too this week. Although school won't start for us til next week. I replied to your comment over at my place, but just wanted to say "link away" even though that particular post still gives me a bit of a lump in my throat (I'm not usually *that* straight shooting for fear of stepping on somebody's toes), but this subject is near and dear to my heart as you can see and I thought maybe I could bring "my" toes to some people's attention =D. Happy trails, hope the saddle still fits!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Great blog and what an inspiration! Hoping your year is full of memories and engaging conversations with your kids!

Have a great Wednesday!
-Sandy toes

Laurel said...

The list of questions from Blue Yonder particularly resonated with me. YES! We want these things! My husband and I are working through our next step in schooling for our kids. So thoughtful ... thanks.

Jennifer said...

Thanks so much for linking many over to my blog. Always fun to "meet" new folks!

Jennifer

heather said...

Thanks for sharing these links and quotes. I read them yesterday and came back to revisit them today!