Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Living Lovely with Family ~ Daily Edition


Our most basic instinct is not for survival but for family. Most of us would give our own life for the survival of a family member, yet we lead our daily life too often as if we take our family for granted.

~Paul Pearshall



Thanks for participating in Mt. Hope Chronicles' first ever Mr. Linky!

Everyone is invited to join in. Simply share on your own blog what you do (hope to do in the future, have done in the past, or remember from your childhood) to make daily connections and memories with your family.

Feel free to snag the large image above or the smaller image on my sidebar to add to your post. I would also love it if you linked back to Mt. Hope Chronicles in your post. Then come back and add your link below anytime. Remember to link directly to your Living Lovely with Family post and not to your main blog page. That will make it easier for visitors to find your ideas if they come by later on. We will start our new theme with a new Mr. Linky next Thursday.

If you don't have a blog, or don't care to share a link, you are more than welcome to add thoughts or ideas in the comments.

(For details and topic schedule for the next few weeks, visit here.)

(Scroll past Mr. Linky for my Living Lovely with Family ~ Daily Edition ideas.)






When I think about the days I spend at home with my boys, the activity that stands out in my mind is working in the kitchen together. Hardly a day goes by that one or all of the boys aren't by my side (on the counter, climbing a footstool...) helping with everyday food tasks. It might be something as routine as scrambled eggs for breakfast, something as simple as a pot of tea, something as fun as cookies, or something as special as birthday cake.

Another routine we share is opening the shutters in the front room each day. We shout 'Good Morning, World!' as the sun (or light, at least) streams in. It is our way of cheerfully starting our day together.

Russ and I have been attending a Sunday school series entitled Faith @ Home. Each week, we are given ideas to share our faith at home with our children. The first class suggested saying a blessing aloud to our children daily. I am just beginning make this a habit in my life.


The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.

~Numbers 6:24-26

May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word.

~2 Thessalonians 2:16-17

16 comments:

Shell in your Pocket said...

I love the blessing idea...I sometimes write this in their lunch boxes but saying it would be more affective..great idea!

I love this!
sandy toe

jodi said...

when we only had 5 kids (and they were younger), we assigned one kid per day to be the kitchen helper. not only was it a great ritual (they loved when it was their day!) but now the 4 oldest are trained enough to make a meal on their own (in fact, the almost 13 yo made dinner all by herself last night).

when we were in our own home, we also played games every day, but we didn't have room to bring the games here. so many things to look forward to again!
j.

Ruth said...

I love the blessing idea. What a wonderful way to impart God's grace to children!

Lora @ my blessed life said...

I love this series, Heidi! Somehow I missed the original post about it, it's been a busy week. But I'm getting caught up and look forward to participating.

Laurel said...

Can't wait to read these Heidi. Thanks!

Crystal said...

I love the opening the windows and shouting "Good Morning, World". I think that is a great idea to be grateful for each day. I'm going to use it : ) I came over from Laurel's blog and was glad to "meet" your beautiful family! Thanks for the thoughts~

Mon Cheri said...

Heidi, the idea of this post is so fun. Also just so important to strengthen the family. I love the way your joy comes through in yours! Mom

Kathy said...

love this series! happy to be a part of it!
Blessings, Kathy =)

Trish said...

Great stuff, Heidi. I think this is a great idea and want to participate to keep it going!

Trish

http://www.trishlawrence.com/blog

Mominin said...

I came across your blog last week, and love the idea of focusing on those little things that mean so much to our families! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Heidi. This is a great idea! I look forward to contributing with this project. It's always great to reflect on what we're doing "right" instead of thinking of what we are missing.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Heidi. I had mispelled your name on my original post. I just corrected it.

chicago_mom said...

I love the blessing idea. Ack! I wish I was a better mom!

Unknown said...

Hopefully I did the Mr. Linky correctly. And yes, our site doesn't do apostrophes well. We're tweaking it.

Loved hearing about how you begin your day!! I might have to snag that one too!

This has been so much fun reading all of the postings so far. I look forward to reading future ones.

Leah Courtney said...

What a lovely meme idea! I look forward to reading about each person's family times.

Renee said...

I gave it a whirl. Looking forward to reading everyone else's posts! Great idea!