Pages

Monday, July 27, 2009

The Relatives Came!

The Relatives Came

One of my favorite picture books!

Then it was into the house and so much laughing
and shining faces and hugging in the doorways.
You'd have to go through at least four different hugs
to get from the kitchen to the front room. Those relatives!

And finally after a big supper two or three times around
until we all got a turn at the table, there was quiet talk
and we were in twos and threes through the house.





We have several of Patricia Polacco's books. I love them!

We had bag races, watermelon-seed-spitting contests,
and rides on Grampa's draft horse, too.
Until Grampa waved a yardstick in the air.

All of us kids dropped what we were doing and ran to the milk shed.

We knew it was time to get measured. We did this every year.

I liked looking at the marks of my gramma and her sisters
and brothers on the same doorway.

Some shorter than mine.
Hard to imagine that once they were little just like me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More acurately, we came (or went)... to see our relatives!

My Dad's family (he has 3 sisters and 3 brothers) have been getting together every summer for years and years. My aunt and uncle have hosted this event almost every year at their home on the Willamette River. No 'rides on Grampa's draft horse' but there is always a rousing game of volleyball going on as well as endless fun down at the river. A cousin (or two) always brings some interesting gadget or toy for the kids. This year it was a water rocket.... a big hit.

We now number in the 70s with all the aunts, uncles, cousins, and second cousins. (My grandmother passed away 2 1/2 years ago. Until then, she always gave a message to the family at our Sunday morning family church service during family reunion. Grandpa passed away over 15 years ago. We miss them!!) I am always amazed at the comraderie and friendship we treasure. Seriously, I have the most awesome family!!

Volleyball



Water Fun



Water Rocket

5 comments:

aspiritofsimplicity said...

It looks like y'all had a great fun time visiting. I love family reunions like that. And, the relatives was one of our favorite books to read when my children were little also.

Anonymous said...

Cynthia Rylant is great. Have you read "When I was Young in the Mountains?"

Edi said...

When Lightning Came in a Jar is also a favorite of mine...for a similar reason too...my dh's mom's family has had a family reunion every other Thanksgiving (siblings take turns hosting) since before we were married. The siblings all have large houses but in recent yrs - people have had to move out to the garage to make room (last time it was close to 100 people). My favorite part of the event is the "Talent Show" - open to all family of any age...an Aunt might tell the story of her vegetables on the give-a-way table next to the highway burning her table??? or an elderly uncle might show off his antique engine or a youngster might sing a song, or someone read a poem.

This yr is the year for the reunion and the old-timers have decided it's time to end it :( Too many people, they are too old and they don't want to move it out of their homes....

Not sure what is going to happen but I know we can't let it die now...

carole said...

We have Lightning in a Jar out from the library right now. A few days ago we all hunkered down on the couch to read and I was completely caught off guard towards the ending when my voice got all choked up reading about the baseball player who grew up to give his life for his country. (blame it on the pregnancy hormones!) It's a great book!

Renee said...

We are doing a Patricia Pollaco author study this year. I'll have to remember this book!