Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My Book List ~ 2010

Red Books on Mantle

My completed book list for 2010 is MUCH LESS impressive than Levi's. I started off with a bang. Then sleep became much more precious than reading, and any extra minutes I could spare were consumed with naps and early bedtimes. But, you know what? I still read an average of 2+ books a month, and that's 27 more books that are now a part of the landscape of my mind. And I'm okay with that.

I was intentionally ambitious in my book list at the beginning of 2010, so I have many more in the queue with which to fill the reading hours of 2011. I think I'll skip making a new book list for now.

I reviewed most of the completed books here and there last year. The bulk of the reviews were short and sweet, but I poured blood, sweat, and tears (okay, not really) into my reviews of Twilight and The Hunger Games Trilogy if you're interested in my thoughts and missed them the first go-around.

The Ballad of Sir Dinadan by Gerald Morris
Sir Charlie: Chaplin, the Funniest Man in the World by Sid Fleischman
Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank
The Matchmaker of Perigord by Julia Stuart
Funny in Farsi by Firoozeh Dumas
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
The Core: Teaching Your Child the Foundations of Classical Education by Leigh A. Bortins
Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller
Time Travelers Never Die by Jack McDevitt
Dutch Color by Douglas M. Jones III
The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery
The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
Parsifal's Page by Gerald Morris
Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz
The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf by Gerald Morris
The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart
Shakespeare: The World as Stage by Bill Bryson
26 Fairmount Avenue series by Tomie DePaola
Jack: A Life of C.S. Lewis by George Sayer
Going Solo by Roald Dahl
A Morbid Taste For Bones by Ellis Peters
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes, retold by Martin Jenkins


Red Books


"He that loves a book will never want a faithful friend, a wholesome counselor, a cheerful companion, an effectual comforter. By study, by reading, by thinking, one may innocently divert and pleasantly entertain himself, as in all weathers, as in all fortunes."

~Barrow

6 comments:

Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry said...

I adore your chair bookends... I think I NEED those...

April said...

Um, how cute are your little reading chairs? I've been working on my 2011 literary goals as well. I love how you said the books have become part of the landscape of your mind.

Lora @ my blessed life said...

I did read a lot last year and I meant to keep a list...alas, I forgot. :)
And I, too, adore those little chair bookends!

Beth said...

I also love your chair bookends--cute!

Your book list is great--you were pregnant and had a new baby in 2010--wow! We share a lot of the same titles. Loved Devil in the WHite City--glad to see someone else read it, too!

Jessye said...

I read your blog at the beginning of the year about reading with intention and so that was my resolution for 2010. The only resolution I have EVER come even remotely close to keeping. I read 40 books this year. (not all "intentional" but it was fun to keep track. I also read Cranford and the Hunger Games. It is a little depressing to read so many and hardly make a dent in my list though. =)

Anonymous said...

Dear Heidi,
The bookends are the perfect size for barbies :) Love, Kara

(Darling Daughter of Connie in Tualatin)