Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Hi, There!

Heidi, here. I haven’t chatted with you all for a week or two.

How are you? How is life? Anything new happening in your world? Do you have fabulous summer plans?

The past few weeks are a blur. I really prefer to stay home most of the time. Maybe a little outing each week (preferably on my own agenda).

But we’ve had multiple park days related to ‘school’ activities. Book club (wouldn’t miss it for the world). A big birthday party for Luke. Russ took the boys to the beach. There were the routine piano lessons, the haircut, and the endless cooking. A fabulous visit with friends.

Levi joined the swim team. Add three practices each week and swim meets here and there. This is an era I assumed would be coming, and I really am excited to have Levi participating. I’m thankful that Russ is taking on most of this commitment. He’s been out of the swim world for a few years, but it is an arena he is more than familiar with and is diving in again with enthusiasm. He’s swimming laps with the team and looking into renewing his coaching certification as well as becoming an official. Luke may join his brother in the near future.

I made ambitious plans for this week. Our local Classical Conversations community hosted a parent practicum with student learning camps. I bravely signed us all up: Levi in the Trig Camp (even though he was the youngest in the class (with a large age range) and math is definitely not his favorite nor forte), Luke in the Geo Drawing Camp (even though he dislikes map drawing and has serious wiggles and the attention span of a gnat), Leif in the Play Camp (even though he has been going through a weird shy/stubborn phase), Lola in the nursery (even though she has never been left with anyone other than Daddy or Grandma for short periods of time), and myself for practicum sessions (even though I’m, well, shy, and usually need a nap after a couple hours of socializing).

We had to be there with bells on at 8:45 am. Until 4 pm. Three days in a row.  Yep, definitely the most ambitious thing I’ve attempted since… I don’t know when. Does that say something about me? Wimp, maybe.

I could share bunches about our time. Leif did awesome (and learned about Georgia O’Keeffe, Norman Rockwell, some parts of a plant, and the moon)! Luke loved the camp (whether his camp leaders felt the same is another question). Levi survived (and really enjoyed the social time during breaks and lunch). Lola did really well, though was progressively less happy to be handed off as the days wore on (which could have something to do with the nap disruption). I loved every minute of the practicum. I’m inspired. Smarter. Full of ideas. Many acquaintances richer. In fact, I think the social aspect was one of my favorites! I enjoyed catching up with old friends, making new friends, and having great conversations! There is something to be said for a group of intelligent women with passion for their families and education. It made me overflow with excitement for our upcoming year at CC.

(As an aside:  I need some serious credit for the amount of quality socializing I’ve done lately! You all would be proud of me.)

I just love how things come together. My sister and I had been talking about starting a parent/child book club for our grammar-stage students (with literature analysis a la Deconstructing Penguins). We were also thinking about practicing literature analysis in our book club using excellent picture books. Teaching the Classics was on our must-have list. Would you like to guess what was scheduled for the afternoon practicum sessions? Teaching the Classics! After three afternoons of watching the DVDs and enjoying Socratic dialogue with the practicum leader and other adults, I’m feeling more excited (and prepared) than ever.

I have so much I need to post here and so little time. The boys (and Lola!!) are due for another photo shoot. I have months worth of fine arts resources to share. I haven’t done our weekly report for a while. My sister tells me I’m due for another ‘reality check’ post for all of you who think life is quiet, organized, clean, beautiful, productive, or anything close to perfect around here. I should post pictures that would make the hair on your toes curl. {exasperated grin} But another day. I desperately need some sleep, so I’m heading to bed. Have a wonderful week, friends!

11 comments:

Amanda said...

Boy, you HAVE been busy! And a little sado-masochistic? Not that I'm judging... I signed up to help with Vacation Bible School the same week I'm supposed to be helping my hubby tear out our kitchen to remodel it, and throwing my youngest's birthday party. I hate chaos, noise and crowds. I'd rather be dealing with roaches and plumbing. *What was I thinking?!!* But, like you, I'm finding myself stretched in good ways. :) Even if I'm completely exhausted!

Rachel P. said...

It sounds like the camp was great for you and the boys. I know I would have enjoyed "Teaching the Classics." It seems like exactly the information I need. I do find it a little funny that you find socializing so draining when you have such connection with your family. I hope swim team goes well!

Heather said...

I like the comment about "intelligent women discussing parenting and education". It's wonderful to meet and talk with other parents who are excited and inspired about teaching their own children and it doesn't happen very often to me in-real-life. That's why I'm thankful for moms like you! :) Rest up and then tell us some more! ♥

Heasleye said...

Wow! The learning camps sound amazing! Yay for all of you! The whole thing sounds a bit intimidating for me, but I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall. :)

Thank you for making us part of your bustling social calendar. :) I wish our boys could rub shoulders more often, and I wish I could pick your brain more often.

Wishing you some well deserved rest and relaxation.

Elaine

carole said...

Wow! What a way to start the summer! I love the swim team connection with Russ getting involved, too. I was wondering if he and your sister and brother in law lost weight on the 30 day diet as well. "Guest post from Russ!!" :) As much as we love hearing from you, I also love seeing time pass without a post because I know you're living life to the fullest and sometimes that means no blogging for a while. I hope your summer is wonderful and that you get more sleep at night and that you find some quiet moments (ha!) to read a few lovely books.

April said...

Wow, you've been busy! And socializing exhausts me to the point of a nap, too. Sounds like a full summer at Mt. Hope!

Heidi said...

Amanda~ Wowsa... You are much more ambitious than I. :) A kitchen remodel all by itself would put me over the edge...

Rachel~ Hanging out with my family is *completely* different than being around other people. :) And I need down time either way...

Heather~ That's so kind of you to think of me like that. :) I'll share as much as I can!

Elaine~ I am SO GLAD you came. I love talking with you and I love that our boys get along so well! (And you would have fit right in at the practicum. There were some very intelligent women there, but it wasn't an intimidating environment.)

Carole~ You always leave the sweetest comments. :) Russ lost about 13 pounds. He had to give up Mt. Dew and he has increased his activity level. He is working out at work (and walking on his breaks) as well as swimming. He also is going to bed fairly early most of the time and getting up really early, so that routine is good for him. I'll check with my sister and brother in law to see if they mind me sharing their results here. They lost weight, and also had some other interesting health changes along the way!

April~ I'm glad you can relate. :) The summer has only just begun. Next week we have a park day with CC friends and two mornings of more learning camps...

~liz said...

I love this post! :) I am hosting our local CC parent practicum for the end of July - lots to accomplish before then, but I'm also so excited to attend the practicum and be trained in Foundation tutoring. :) i only have three boys, so i can understand being totally worn out by taking four kiddos for three full days worth of socializing! good for you!

Laura at By the Bushel said...

going this next week to parent practicum & tutor training. we are in the middle of the move, and well, my kids are going to be farmed out. I actually wanted them to go to the classes for kids, but with so much change, I hated the idea of them being thrown into ? something that lasted all day, and may or may not be *great*. I'm still a little shaky about the whole CC thing. I think it's just too much change @ once. Sounds like alot of your readers are ambitious! :) big smiles on the healthy eating. live long--keep blogging! your readers love it!

Anonymous said...

will you be looking at your poet/composer list again to start the fall? I am so excited to follow it and get more ideas as I DO so often from your blog. Thank you for taking the time to do it.

Heidi said...

Yes, yes! Actually, I plan to get caught up by the end of this month. We've been doing the fine arts study at home, I just haven't posted all the resources and links here in one place. The boys will be at VBS the last week, so that is my project and posting week. :) I'm glad you find those posts helpful!