Pages

Monday, February 10, 2014

Just in case Levi’s feelings about math haven’t been clear…

I found the following doodled in his math book:

Musings of a Student

 

Math, be not proud. Thou art mean and base. Thou hath no royal luster in thy eyes. Give me those who art tired of thy blusters and brags. Send these to me. Math, thou shalt die. Thou shalt die a death so profound that none shall remember thee, or revive thee. Thy death shall be cause of rejoicin’. All the school masters shall be merry for math was a subject none would learn. The schoolboy would no longer creep like a snail, now he would run faster than a cheetah. A cheetah would wonder why he had been so challenged. One king will decree that addition symbols will be fed to his falcons. Ah, these simple musings do no good. I must be done, gentle listeners, for even papers have ears.

 

I don’t know what to do with this child.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

That is truly, a 'most wonderful musing.' It makes me laugh, but much more than that I marvel at the use of his words!

Christie said...

Obviously you have more of wordsmith than a mathematician in your midst.

Luke Holzmann said...

Ah, and so we see, once again, that both love and hate stir frothy feelings whipped into creative expression.

Math is actually really cool, but so is writing [smile].

~Luke

Hannah said...

Oh my goodness, there is poetry bursting forth from that brilliant boy!

Anonymous said...

Heidi, I SO needed that laugh today. I really enjoy following your blog. I had Annie read that and she really enjoyed it as well. She feels the same way about Math! ~ Jennifer Kennedy

Ohio12 said...

My daughter (age 10) found a quote in one of her favorite books, wrote it on a piece of paper and hung it up in her room. You might share it with your son.

"You couldn't dream with arithmetic. With arithmetic you could only think. It made arithmetic hard. Hard and sort of scary, and not very exciting. Storks! Now storks were exciting!" -The Wheel on the School

Tresta said...

Brilliant! Someday he'll hire the math-kid-turned-accountant to handle all his book proceeds. Good job, mom, and fret not about the math. (My kids will love this!)

Anonymous said...

He's a writer!

RMann

Anonymous said...

BTW, I shared this with my 11 year old daughter and she replied:

"I feelith Levi's torment!"

Blessings,
RMann

Heidi said...

Thanks for the fun comments. :)

Ohio12~ I read The Wheel on the School (and several other DeJong books) as a child, but I'm not sure if Levi has. I'll have to make sure he reads it soon. :)

Jennifer~ I'll tell Levi that Annie appreciated it. :)

RMann~ I'll share that with Levi. He'll love it!

Heidi said...

Luke~ I allowed Levi to read the comments on this post, and he asked, "Who is Luke?" I told him you were Justin's brother from the MathTacular DVDs, and he looked stunned...then got a huge kick out of it. :D

Jessica Stock said...

Hi Heidi, I nominated you for a Sunshine Award. No pressure, of course, but yours has long been one of my favorite blogs! http://www.jesstock.com/2014/02/sunshine.html