Pages

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

An Odd Combination

[It makes absolutely no sense to combine these pictures and the following links, but that’s life, folks.]

Did you know that Russ and I both used to have hair? It was almost to my waist when we were married. Russ jokingly said that he would divorce me if I cut it. I did. He didn’t.

I had it short by my sister’s wedding the following year (‘97), had it longer again by 2001, and cut it super short right after Levi was born at the beginning of 2002. My hairdresser almost wouldn’t do it. She was afraid I was hormonal, and that my husband would be angry with her. I assured her that I was not attached to my hair, and she finally agreed.

Other than one failed attempt to grow it out the year I was pregnant with Leif, I’ve had it super short for the past 12 years. I’m afraid I’m doomed to an eternity of pixie hair because I now cannot stand the feeling of hair on my face. Sigh. At least it’s easy other than frequent hair cuts.

Russ and I have been married for 18 years now, despite the short hair. So it’s all good.

Stay tuned for more pictures taken some time between 1974 and 2001…

And on a completely unrelated note, I’ll share some food for thought that has been swirling around in my world the past few days. Because my life is not compartmentalized.

On Faith and Social Issues

 

 

::  Where Children Sleep (pictures of children and the places they sleep)

 

On the Noah Brouhaha

::  All the Noah That’s Fit to Print by Jeffrey Overstreet @ Patheos (I really like this guy.)

::  “The World That Then Was…” by Dr. Brian Mattson (his thoughts prior to watching the movie Noah, very intelligent and thoughtful)

::  Sympathy for the Devil by Dr. Brian Mattson (his thoughts after watching the movie, a tad arrogant in presentation, but fascinating)

A couple responses to Dr. Mattson’s article:

::  No, Noah Is Not Gnostic @ Patheos

::  IS DARREN ARONOFSKY’S NOAH GNOSTIC? @ I’ve Seen That Movie Too

And Dr. Mattson’s video response to the responses (yes, this could go on forever…)

::  I Respond to a Few Critics

While I was browsing Dr. Mattson’s blog (he was unknown to me prior to this discussion), I came across his post on the Ham v. Nye debate. A little late to the party, but intelligent, worthy reading:

On Creation:

::  A Tramp Called Lady Luck by Dr. Brian Mattson

“Okay. So, I’ll cut to the chase: the question that ought to be debated is whether the cosmos is created or not created. There is a designer or there is not. There is metaphysics or just physics. There is an “on purpose” or there is an “accident.” That’s the divide, folks. That means the following topics are, well, off topic: the length of creation days, the age of the universe, the age of the earth, the historicity of Noah’s flood, when dinosaurs lived, and radiometric dating practices. Every minute of the debate talking about those things is, frankly, the waste of a good minute. I’m not saying they aren’t interesting questions in and of themselves that are worth thinking about. They surely are. But they are not the questions at issue when we are dealing with the question of whether the universe is a creation or something else.”

Pulling all of the above topics into a single, grace-filled interview:

::  Ravi Zacharias: With Gentleness and Respect @ Outreach Magazine

“So I often say of great social issues—not that they are unimportant—this is not the setting in which I want to talk about it. If you want to discuss it, let’s sit around a table so that at the end of it, even if we disagree with one another, we can shake hands or give each other a hug and say truth will triumph in the end. But if I gave you an answer in this public setting, you’re not going to be able to counter it, you’re not going to be able to tell me what’s on your heart, and we’ll walk away creating a bigger wall between ourselves.”

And

“If a person tells me science is all that matters. I generally say to them, “Should the scientist be honest in giving us his or her findings?’ And they just stare at me. I say, “Is that a scientific question or a metaphysical question, that the scientist should be honest in giving me his or her findings? That’s not a scientific theory, that’s a moral theory. That’s a moral pronouncement we’re making.”

“You cannot have a scientific single vision in this world. There has to be a convergence of the great disciplines—of cosmology, of theology, of history, of epistemology. All of these disciplines have to come to bear to explain the undeniable reality in which we live.”

 

What have you been doing, reading, watching, or thinking about this week?

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Keep it all coming Heidi. The odd and the combinations and whatever is happening in your world. Always interesting.

Heidi said...

Thanks, Andrea!

Kellie said...

Fabulous! But other than the change in hair, you haven't aged a bit - so jealous! : )