Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Then Sings My Soul...

The beginner piano books Levi's instructor has provided him with have been a delight this past year! The Classics books feature very simple melodies from classical pieces, perfect as an introduction to classical music and very similar to the melodies featured on the Little Einsteins show (the exact melody, in some cases). Levi memorized several of the tunes and will often walk up to the piano to play them.


My favorite, however, has been Hymns! The book includes simple versions of Jesus Loves Me; Do Lord; Stand Up, Stand Up for Jesus; Holy, Holy, Holy; This Little Light of Mine; Fairest Lord Jesus; Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee; O Worship the King; What a Friend We Have in Jesus; Come Thou Almighty King; and For the Beauty of the Earth. The words are included for each of the hymns. Usually this is the first book Levi grabs when he goes to the piano to practice, and the songs I hear weeks later.

As a way to reinforce the beautiful language of the hymns he is learning for piano, I write the words on his handwriting paper and have him copy them.


We have also read a few stories from Hymns for a Kid's Heart and plan on finishing the book by the end of the year. The book features true stories of 12 hymns, a corresponding devotional for each hymn, piano music and words, as well as a short prayer and Bible verse. I am considering purchasing Christmas Carols for a Kid's Heart and Passion Hymns for a Kid's Heart for the Christmas and Easter seasons. A CD of all the hymns is included with the book. We have listened to it many times and I enjoy listening to Levi sing along.
If you are looking for an inexpensive CD of Hymns for children, check out Cedarmont Kids. 16 Hymns (including O Worship The King, Doxology, For The Beauty Of The Earth, and Amazing Grace) for under $4! We also enjoy the Songs of Praise CD. Both CDs (and others from Cedarmont Kids) have been popular with the boys.

7 comments:

Joni said...

My nearly-7 year old has the same hymn book and I love it! He often plays for our circle time in the morning and feels extremely proud of his contribution. I love the idea of using this for copywork.

Blessings!

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Heidi, you never cease to amaze me! I love your blog. I always feel relaxed and inspired when you post!
What a fabulous idea--and he has great handwriting! Wow!

Anonymous said...

I just have to say, that is the NEATEST handwriting I`ve ever seen from an 8 year old! I`m so impressed. Even my writing (sigh) isn`t that nice.

spanki said...

i love that! all these songs remind me of vacation bible school and summer camp as a child! i am going to have to try to find that book!

Heidi said...

joni ~ I like the idea of Levi playing a hymn for circle time! I might have to steal that one. :)

smallworld and expat mom~ Just wanted to make sure that it was clear that the top line is my handwriting and the second line is Levi's. :) He does have pretty nice handwriting for a 6 year old, but it takes him *forever* and he is easily distracted, LOL.

spanki~ Yes, especially the Praise CD brings back some serious childhood memories. They're classics! I love that I had a chance to learn hymns as a child, and I hope I'm giving my boys some of that legacy!

Laurel said...

So Heidi - basically I'm just mooching from your fabulous buffet of ideas! It feels so one sided - so sorry! I have a Hymn Story book which I love so I'll definitely check these out for our hoodlums.

Nicole said...

I've been looking for something like this! You always have the best book recommendations for us and I'm so glad I found you. My soon to be 6 yr. isn't nearly as good as Levi at handwriting. That is amazing for a 6 yr. old! (and a boy!) Thanks for all your wonderful tips and recommendations! Nicole