Pages

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Educational Goals

A friend of mine (who happens to be an amazing teacher) and I were discussing education the other day. She was lamenting educational goals that strive to churn out children who are good at taking 'fill in the bubble' tests when her goal is to teach children how to be human beings. I couldn't fall asleep that night, thinking of what would be on my educational goal list. The next morning I started writing.




Educational Goals for My Children, or

How to Be a Human Being,
Capable of Living a Rich Life:


Trust God.

Be curious. About everything.

Read. Read. Read.

Help the underdog.

Entertain thoughts.

Set goals.

Observe nature.

Have compassion.

Discuss ideas.

Do hard things.

Create:

Build. Paint. Plant. Draw. Sing. Bake. Play an instrument.

Care for your body.

Follow through.

Appreciate beauty.

Ask questions.

Take responsibility.

Eat good food.

Play hard.

Plant a garden.

Try new things.

Share with others.

Manage your personal finances. Well.

Solve problems.

Plan for the future.

Keep house. Well.

Prepare for emergencies.

Nurture relationships.

Travel.

Give of yourself.

Value truth.

Keep your word.

Smell the flowers.

Pick up after yourself.

Use time wisely.

Encourage others.

Laugh. A lot.

Brave storms.

Cultivate a spirit of gratitude.

Find passion for life.



What would you add?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm finding daily inspiration for life and education at

Homeschool. Style. Bytes.


Check it out!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One more for you:

Illinois Loop has a WEALTH of information, articles, and links regarding education.
Fascinating stuff, I tell ya!
I particularly found their gender bias page to be enlightening.
This site is essential reading if you have a child of school age
(whether public, private, or home schooled),
or are generally interested in the state of education in our nation.

19 comments:

Christi said...

Great list, Heidi! Our goals reflect a lot of the same items as yours. A perfect example of why we've chosen to homeschool!

Tsh said...

I love talking education with you, Heidi, because I feel like you totally get me. Write as much about education with your boys as you want, because I get so much inspiration from it!

For me, the overriding thought I have for my kids is this: I want them to be lifelong learners.

That covers most everything I want for them. It's not that simple, of course, but that's the thread that weaves through most of all our goals for them.

Heather said...

Oh, Heidi-- I love this idea! So many times before I've attempted to write out a list of goals, but I've never succeeded in completing a final draft, so to speak. Why? B/c I've become overwhelmed by the task of writing something wonderfully complex and detailed. But the important things in life aren't like that-- they're simple and easy and true. You've proven that here... thank you so much for sharing! You've convinced me to finally draft my own list-- I'll let you know when I finish it!

Thank you, cyber friend-- have a blessed day!

Mandy said...

That's a great list. It reflects just what I want for my kids (and myself) to learn and I think that's why homeschooling was the best choice for our family. My prayer is that I can use the time God has given me with them to foster that love for learning and growing. I want any school assignment I give them to just be a spring board.
I love it when you share these thoughts. They encourage me and stretch me. When I forget the long term goals, it's too easy to get caught up in the day to day and get discouraged.

Melissa Stover said...

love those.

Jessica Stock said...

I love this list! It's inspiring, I need to print it out and tuck it in my journal for my kids . . . can't think of anything you could possibly add!

Timi said...

I like your list! If only they could learn these things at school...
I would add: learn how to make friends ...

Rachel said...

I would add: learn contentment, practice moderation and appreciate quality. These are some of the hardest lessons to learn in our American culture in my opinion.

grandma and grandpa said...

Heidi, that is an incredible list and the several suggestions that commenters added were also good. I also clicked on "Illinois Loop" and the "gender bias page" is amazing too. It's long and I finally ran out of time but thinking of sending it to Cal to see if he sees that in the school where he teaches. Grandma

Renee said...

Great list!! I might add having a heart for mercy opportunities. Or seeing everyone as valuable and made in His image.

Anonymous said...

I would add "learn to relate comfortably to others who are not like you in culture or beliefs".

Michelle

Jennifer said...

Love, love, love your list! Very similar to my own, if I were to write it down in this form...which I now plan to do! Thanks!

nanajoy said...

Excellent list...and also all of the added ones from comments! I would add....listen for the soft whisper from the Lord!

Christy Murphy said...

Wow, you truly have a gift for communicating your thoughts. I love this post!

Jennifer said...

Love this post! Inspriring!

Unknown said...

This post just made me grin from ear to ear! I am so pumped when I see passionate, intentional parenting expressed... you are so on the mark, Heidi!!!

Heasleye said...

Love your list!!! Thank you for sharing it, and the links as well. You're a wealth of wonderful information, Heidi!

Elaine

Unknown said...

Although thousands of medical students write and pass the AIPGMEE Examination each year, it is not a requirement for students from all over the world. Below are some of the most important eligibility criteria for all medical students who would like to pass this exam. See more metabical case study

aliyaa said...

You have done such a fantastic job. Here is a site online sentence structure checker for students, author and writer.It surely help them in making sentence accurately.