Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Elementary Book List ~ Levels 1 & 2

I was asked a while back to share my book list for elementary students. Most of my books are chosen with boys in mind (hmm, wonder why that is?), so I apologize for the sparseness of 'girl' titles. Rather than include all of my favorite picture books, I've focused mainly on readers and chapter books. I've broken the list of books we've used by levels for ease of use. The following are my book selections for children who are starting to read 'real' books (as opposed to 'the cat sat' books.) (If you are interested in my beginning reading recommendations, read here.) I've starred my favorites. I'll be updating this list every so often and reposting.



Level 1 and 2 Readers

The Early Reader’s Bible (V. Gilbert Beers)

*Little Bear (series) (Else Holmelund Minarik)

Amelia Bedelia (series) (Peggy Parish)

*(Arnold Lobel)

Frog and Toad (series)
Owl at Home
Mouse Soup
Mouse Tales
Uncle Elephant
Grasshopper on the Road

*The Fire Cat (Esther Averill)

*Henry and Mudge (series) (Cynthia Rylant)

*Harry the Dirty Dog (series)

Big Max (series) (Kin Platt)

Good Knight (series) (Shelley Moore Thomas)

The Sword in the Stone (Grace Maccarone)

Ready-to-Read (Level 1): Wonders of America (series)

Mount Rushmore
Niagara Falls
The Statue of Liberty
The Rocky
Mountains
The Mighty Mississippi
And others…

Ready-to-Read (Level 1): (Marion Dane Bauer)

Snow
Rain
Clouds
Wind

Ready-to-Read: Childhood of Famous Americans (series)

Thomas Edison To the Rescue!
Ben Franklin and His First Kite
Sacagawea and the Bravest Deed
Helen Keller and the Big Storm
Paul Revere and the Bell Ringers
Step into Reading
*Abe Lincoln’s Hat
George Washington and the General’s Dog
The Statue of Liberty

All Aboard Reading
Red, White, and Blue: The Story of the American Flag
Egyptian Gods and Goddesses

Little Runner of the Longhouse (Betty Baker)

There is a Carrot in My Ear and Other Noodle Tales (Alvin Schwartz)

*Dodsworth in New York (Paris, London) (series) (Tim Egan)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to post book lists. There are so many good books out there to choose from, so it's nice to have some personal recommendations. Love reading your blog!

Mab said...

Love Carrot in my Ear and other Noodle stories.
Haven't heard/seen the Wonders of America series- will be checking them out.

Unknown said...

Love this list. No Mrs. Piggle Wiggle? My Father's Dragon? Nate the Great?? *grin*

Heidi said...

Prairie Chick~ All 3 are coming. :) But not at level 1 & 2. :)

Unknown said...

laughing out loud over here. of course. that would be me getting ahead of myself in my excitement over book lists.

Anonymous said...

Heidi, I've been creating a library list for summer reading. I mostly have stuff listed for my older reader, but these are perfect for my middle dude. Would it be easy enough for you to copy/paste or send an attachment to my email so I can just print it for my mommy notebook? I'll send you my email address thru facebook if it's not too much trouble for you...I hope I don't start something that others will be also begging for!

~Tera

Heidi said...

Tera~ No problem!