Pages

Monday, January 4, 2010

Book List 2010

Tired of book posts, yet? Sorry, got one more for you.

(notes in red were added throughout the year)
(an * indicates that a book was also previously listed in another category)

My 'Would Love to Read in 2010' List

Read Alouds:

Man of the Family by Ralph Moody
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh by Robert C. O'Brien
Heidi by Johanna Spyri
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
Swiss Family Robinson by Johann D. Wyss
Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain


Biography/Autobiography/Memoir:

Going Solo by Roald Dahl (done)
Mt Vernon Love Story by Mary Higgins Clark
Papa Married a Mormon by John D. Fitzgerald (started)
Jack: A Life of C. S. Lewis by George Sayer (done)
In Pursuit of Reason: The Life of Thomas Jefferson by Noble E. Cunningham, Jr.
My Life in France by Julia Child (started)
Amos Fortune: Free Man by Elizabeth Yates
Shakespeare: The World as Stage by Bill Bryson (done)
26 Fairmont Avenue (rest of series) by Tomie DePaola (done)


Francophile:

*My Life in France by Julia Child (started)
The Matchmaker of Perigord by Julia Stuart (done)
The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery (done)
French Milk by Lucy Knisley
I'll Never Be French (no matter what I do) by Mark Greenside
French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano
A Corner in the Marais by Alex Karmel
Words in a French Life: Lessons in Love and Language From the South of France by Kristin Espinasse


History/Historical Fiction:

The Good Master by Kate Seredy
Dutch Color by Douglas M. Jones III (done)
The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes
Carry On, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham
My Brother Sam is Dead by James Lincoln Collier
*Amos Fortune: Free Man by Elizabeth Yates
The Samurai's Tale by Erik C. Haugaard


Literature:

Don Quixote retold by Martin Jenkins (done)
Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz (done)
The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain
The Law and the Lady by Wilkie Collins
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Strong Poison, Have His Carcass, and Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers
A Morbid Taste for Bones: The First Chronicle of Brother Cadfael by Ellis Peters (done)
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (done)
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

Sequels and Series:

The Squire's Tales (books #3-8) by Gerald Morris (finished 3, 4, 5)
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Catching Fire & The Hunger Games #3 by Suzanne Collins (finished both)
The Black Cauldron (The Castle of Llyr, Taran Wanderer, The High King, and The Foundling) by Lloyd Alexander
Shakespeare's Scribe (Shakespeare's Spy) by Gary Blackwood
The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart (done)
The Princess and Curdie by George MacDonald
*Man of the Family by Ralph Moody
The Space Trilogy by C. S. Lewis (for the umpteenth time)


ChocLit Guild (Book Club):

*Quo Vadis (done)
The Jesus I Never Knew by Philip Yancey
*Jack: A Life of C. S. Lewis by George Sayer (done)
Twilight by Stephanie Meyer (done)
*Huckleberry Finn or Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows (done, but no longer a book club selection)
(and 3 more)
Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell (done)
The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson (done)
The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis
Walking on Water by Madeleine L'Engle (read last year)


Romance:

books by George MacDonald


Spontaneous Reads:

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller
Time Travelers Never Die by Jack McDevitt
The Core: Teaching Your Child the Foundations of Classical Education by Leigh A. Bortins
Sir Charlie: Chaplin, the Funniest Man in the World by Sid Fleischman
Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank
Funny in Farsi by Firoozeh Dumas


Lord! when you sell a man a book you don't sell just twelve ounces of paper and ink and glue
~ you sell him a whole new life.
Love and friendship and humour and ships at sea by night
~there's all heaven and earth in a book, a real book.

~Christopher Morley


What's on YOUR list?!

17 comments:

Heasleye said...

Well, my puny little list looks pathetic next to this, but it's a start, anyway! Enjoy your reading, Heidi! :)

Colleen said...

I'm not a list maker, but I'm hoping to do more reading in 2010 than I did in 2009. I do read aloud a lot ~ I'd venture to say 50books a year. I'm thinking about rereading "War & Peace" ~ a sentimental favorite of mine; I hope you get to that one. Most of my reading, though, tend towards non-fiction: social issues, biography, and history. I just devoured a riveting book about the Donner Party called "Desperate Passage"; have "The Children's Blizzard" on hand, and am looking forward to "White Cascade: The Great Northern Railway Disaster and America's Deadliest Avalanche". Good grief. There's a theme going on here...!

Laura at By the Bushel said...

Still working on my 'word' for the year, but will be also working on my & the boy's book lists. We've got a theme going on there, 20,000 leagues under the sea, journey to the center of the earth,... Adventure & discovery. We're still classified as 'the year that would be kindergarten', so I'm more just reading with him, whatever he seems to be interested in. We just finished 'Dr. Dolittle'. Not sure we'll get the same reaction with the other books, but I also picked up Gulliver's Travels. He loves to read. Now to my booklist.... :) Happy New year- also, we enjoyed the book about the man who studied snowflakes, per your photographic suggestion. I'm working on being able to have examples of people who journaled or documented what they loved or were interested in. We also have listened to 'Undaunted Courage' several times, who of course journaled about the efforts of the Corp of Discovery.
question: have any of your boys ever participated in boyscouts? Just wondering. I have found it 'ain't what it used to be, but that seems to be a running theme with any publically organized group, mediocrity & self-esteem boosting seem to overtake seeking excellence. ... just wondering. Again, happy new year-

Jen Rouse said...

"The Guernsey Literary..." is on my book group's list for this year as well--for the month of January, as a matter of fact! I better get to it.

Also, if you have never read "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" before, then you're in a for treat. One of my absolute, all-time, favorite books.

Anonymous said...

I second the praise for "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" -- it's one of my favorites as well. Also, you probably know this but book three of the Hunger Games doesn't come out until AUGUST! I just finished Catching Fire last night and the suspense is killing me... so I recommend you wait to read it closer to August. :) --April H.

Anonymous said...

P.S.

Did I miss your "word" for 2010 or have you not written a post of it, yet?

Gina said...

What a great list! I never really make a list and then I always feel a bit disappointed that I haven't read as much as I would like to-this year might just be the first year of the official book list for me. Thanks for the inspiration!

Heidi said...

Thanks for the comments, ladies. I enjoyed reading about YOUR reading. :)

(April ~ My One Little Word post will be up by Thursday.)

Anonymous said...

I am still working on my word. I really like Frankenstein and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn- and I read Heidi to my boys and we all liked it. Enjoy reading! :)

My list so far and some inspiration from you:
http://mabfaerie.wordpress.com/2010/01/05/reading-list-for-2010/

Laura said...

Ooh, what a great list! I can recommend many of those highly, and others are new to me (which is always fun). I *love* the idea of making a list and approaching book-reading in a more structured way! I might actually make a dent in that huge pile of books I really wish I had read. :)

Renee said...

Heidi,
These books sound wonderful!! Except for Don Quixote. I read it last year and it made me want to quit reading forever. :) Maybe it's just me, though! :) I'm going to post a reading "wish list" for the yr. soon!! Right now I am reading Three Cups of Tea and the Harry Potter series (b/c my son is begging to read them and I might finally give in). Also I am in the middle of The Goodness of God, which is very challenging but wonderful. I love lists, too. Isn't January a fun time to dream and make goals/lists?

Heidi said...

Renee~ That's why I'm reading a *retelling* of Don Quixote. :) It's actually quite hilarious, particularly with the awesome comical illustrations by Chris Riddell. Even so, the ridiculous humor gets a bit old by page 250 or so. :) All in all, I'd highly recommend this version for those who either have tried to read the full version and got stuck or have no intention of even trying (me). I'm comforting myself with the idea that I wasn't going to read it in the original language anyway, so this will still help me be culturally literate without slogging through 'the real deal.'

Molly Anne said...

I went through my bookshelves and started making a list and...it's getting...huge. I have bought so many books that I haven't read yet! Murder on the Orient Express is one of them, haha.

I love that you're going to read Huck Finn aloud - it really needs that to get the accents. Love that book! Treasure Island too - I used to have my class read it with British accents, heehee.

Loved The Witch of Blackbird Pond too. And I actually bought Don Quixote in Spanish thinking it would help me practice before I forget it all but I haven't been brave enough to start it yet.

A friend just read that Guernsey Literary book and really thought it was interesting.

Mon Cheri said...

Heidi, I love your book list(s). I have put a quote by C.S Lewis on my blog today ~ some inspiring thoughts on reading and readers.
You know I don't do lists,(even when I should!)so none of that:) just a perfect quote from the ultimate afficionado of great books.
Mom

Aja Jenise said...

If you're up for it... I wondered if you would like to read Screwtape Letters with me. I read half of it just after I had my son and I havent had the nerve to return back to it. It is splendid, and eye opening. It would be a splendid experience to share with someone...

Aja

carole said...

You have some tough ones on there!

I've been wanting to read Frankenstein, too, and can't wait to read Heidi with the boys (I love that book!).

Heidi said...

Aja~ Yes, I would love to read it, and if I have a parter, I might actually do it!! When do you want to start?