Pages

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Putting It All Together

So, we've discussed curriculum and resource choices, and basic planning for each subject, but how does one put it all together? This is what my next step looks like:

(ETA: Click on each subject below to read details about curriculum, resources, and planning.)

Grammar: 15 minutes/ 3x per week
Latin: 15 minutes/ 4x per week
Handwriting: 15 minutes/ 4x per week
Geography: 15 minutes/ 4x per week
Music: 15 minutes/ 2x per week
Art: 15 minutes/ 2x per week
Math: 45 minutes/ 4x per week
History/Literature: 1+ hour/ 2x per week
Science: 1+ hour/ 2x per week
Bible Reading: 15 minutes/ 4x per week
Piano Practice: 15-30 minutes/ 4-6x per week
Poetry and Bible Memorization: 10 minutes/ 4-6x per week
Singing Hymns: 5 minutes/ 4x per week
Family Chapter Book: 15-20 minutes/ 4+x per week
Free Reading: 45+ minutes/ 4-7x per week
Reading Aloud (Luke): 15 minutes/ 4-6x per week
(Spelling and Spanish to be worked in at a later time.)

I know that looks like a lot, but stay with me. I promise I am going to share with you a 'getting it all done' daily schedule soon (not that I can follow it...), but we'll start with this very simple lesson schedule:

*Educational video for boys while I finish getting ready in the morning. (Science, geography, Spanish, etc.)

*Review memory work during breakfast time. (Levi read aloud.)

* 1 1/2 hour morning lessons with all 3 boys (have books and small bin of toys for Leif to play with or send him to playroom when he gets crazy):

Monday: Handwriting and drawing at kitchen table. Give Leif paper and crayons. Work with Luke while Levi completes copywork. Do drawing project together. 45 minutes. Move to living room. Sing hymn, listen to geography song and look at flip chart atlas, Latin lesson (roughly 15 minutes each). 45 minutes.

Tuesday: Handwriting at kitchen table (same M.O. {grin}). 15 minutes. Move to living room. Sing hymn, listen to geography song while coloring map (using clipboard), read book for music, Latin review, grammar lesson (15 minutes each). 1 hour 15 minutes.

Wednesday: Handwriting at kitchen table. Living room: hymn, geography picture book, art picture book, Latin review, grammar lesson. (15 minutes each.) 1 1/2 hours.

Thursday: Handwriting at kitchen table. Living room: hymn, geography song and mapwork, Latin review, grammar lesson, watch music clip on You Tube (on computer in school room) or listen to CD. (15 minutes each.) 1 1/2 hours.

Friday: Free for errands, appointments, library trips, field trips, or catch-up work.

(We'll work spelling into our morning lessons later this year.)

*45 minutes for Bible reading and piano practice. Levi and Luke alternate. Leif wrecks havoc.

(LUNCH)

*2 hours of afternoon lessons with Levi and Luke. (Leif at grandma's house or in quiet time (ha!)at least during math.)

Monday: Math at kitchen table with Levi (and Luke) 30 minutes then 15 minutes with Luke while Levi completes worksheet or other activity. Spend remaining time on history (read history chapter while coloring, narration, mapwork; read related picture book or literature if time).

Tuesday: Math (same M.O.). Remaining time on science (read lesson, any writing activity, color page or diagram, additional picture book, etc.).

Wednesday: Math. Remaining time on extra history reading and/or project.

Thursday: Math. Remaining time on extra science reading and/or project.

Friday: Free for activities, etc.

*Keep copies of CDs (geography songs, Bible songs, poetry memorization, Classical Kids, Spanish) in car for listening convenience. Play CDs at home during playtime and on weekends.

*2-3 evenings per week: Swim lessons or Tae Kwon Do. (P.E.!)

*Bedtime reading: Luke read aloud (to me or Daddy) 15 minutes. Read from family chapter book 15-30 minutes. Levi read independently (free reading) 30-60 minutes.

*Weekend (Friday-Sunday): Bible reading, piano practice, free reading, family chapter book, picture books, field trips, outside play, games, listen to music, family movie night, chores and projects, visit friends, Sunday school...

Whew.

17 comments:

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Heidi:
I've really enjoyed your series! What a huge amount of work and thought you put into writing these! I'm going to take some time to browse back through them, esp. your art studies. Wonderful stuff! And I'm in my 9th year of homeschooling!!

Sherri said...

We are in our second year of homeschooling so I'm always looking for new educational ideas...you mentioned You Tube;I love it but several days ago,I came across Teacher Tube.We really like it as well:)

Cameron. Elizabeth. Greta. Austin. said...

I'm interested to know what cd's you have in your collection? What kind of geography songs do you have?

Cameron. Elizabeth. Greta. Austin. said...

Hahahaha! Ok. I didn't read far enough down. I must have missed your blog for a couple of days. You already answered my geography songs question. Thanks for your posts! I'm trying to figure out if I am able to homeschool my children. You make it so easy. I don't know if I have it in me, eventhough I'm dying to try.

Heidi said...

SmallWorld~ Glad you've been enjoying it! It feels good to have it all down in writing for me, too.

Sherri~ Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check that out!

Elizabeth~ Nah, you haven't missed the blog for a few days, I've just been posting multiple posts recently. :) Trying to get all the info down and questions answered without it taking 2 years, LOL. I'm guessing you do really have it in you.... your kiddos are really young, aren't they? You have plenty of time to work up to it. :)

seeZworld said...

Thank you for this series. It has been so very encouraging. We are just dipping our toes into the homeschooling "pool" as our oldest just turned 5 1/2. All of your work and insight has made it seem less overwhelming.

I have been lurking for a couple months now and really enjoy your blog! :)

Tara

carole said...

Heidi - this "series" has been great. Your planning thoughts were helpful to me as I prepared for 1st grade with Ian. Now they serve as a refresher course (of sorts) for ideas and inspiration. I actually think it'd be cool to have a "linky" kind of post going on, with other homeschool bloggers chiming in on their lesson plans and adding their approach to the how to's. (but how to execute that? don't ask me...)

Lisa said...

Heidi~
I am a non-homeschooling mom, but I just wanted to tell you that I have found your series on how you homeschool very interesting. I considered homeschooling when my oldest was 5, but decided against it as my oldest is very headstrong and I felt she would learn better from someone else. Is this something you hear often or something you deal with? I also felt that homeschooling would be completely overwhelming since I had 2 younger children (at the time they were 3 and 10 months). Your schedule makes me finally realize how it would work throughout the day. Although I may never choose to homeschool, thanks for posting on the variety of what you teach and the resources you use, because they would still be useful even if my children "go" to school.

Mandy said...

Thank you for sharing your schedule. I'm in a time of re-evaluating our schedule and seeing what works for others helps me with ideas for our family. I always seem to enjoy what you write. I think we would get along swimmingly! :)

Anonymous said...

We are in our second year of homeschooling

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog last Dec and it truly opened a door into home education for me. I ordered a number of books and curriculum materials you recommended. They have proven to be most useful! RightStart for example, has done a good job in capturing my son's attention.

You truly saved me lots of time. I cannot thank you enough.

Serene from Sydney, Australia

Heidi said...

Serene~ Your comment made me unbelievably happy!! I am so very glad that I am able to help others (even across the globe!) by sharing my experiences, research, and resources. Thank *you* for commenting!

Tracy said...

Have a fun filled year!

Darcy @ m3b said...

Wow - you were organized so early this year, Heidi! I'm so impressed. I couldn't believe that was dated in January.

I was thrilled to have my plan together 3 weeks before we started. And we've already started and I haven't finalized my youngest's plan.

thanks for linking up on the NBTS Blog Hop!

Robin E. said...

Wow, what a visually appealing and beautiful blog. I just kept looking and looking. Thank you for sharing on the Blog Hop. I appreciate your detailed description of your daily schedule/plan.

Aja Jenise said...

Love this book list for inspiring homeschooling... as WTM is the most familiar... I am curious to try out the others.

Aja

Kiki said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and share this, Heidi. I am working on putting ours together and your post has been such a blessing. Thank you!